Welcome to Fertility Awareness!
Fertility awareness is based on observing and recording the body’s signs of fertility. This “cycle charting” provides important information about a woman’s reproductive and overall health. Women can learn fertility awareness throughout their reproductive lifespan, whether cycles are regular or irregular.
Fertility awareness cycle charting can be used in multiple ways:
• Health Monitoring and Management:
Cycle charting can be an important tool to help patients monitor and understand their health—some call it “the fifth vital sign.” A woman’s individual cycle pattern can be used not only to track menstrual periods, but to provide clues about how reproductive organs and hormones are functioning. With this information, our clinic team is better able to tailor care for patients. Sometimes, unknown health issues can even be identified and treated before they become a problem.
• Plan a Pregnancy: Cycle charting can be used to pinpoint the best times for intercourse for any couple trying to conceive.
• Postpone or Prevent Pregnancy: Cycle charting gives couples the flexibility to choose when to have intercourse based on their pregnancy goals. This can be an excellent family planning option for couples wishing to postpone or prevent pregnancy without using artificial barriers, chemicals, or devices.
There are numerous methods and apps that teach or promote fertility awareness. Our clinical team is happy to work with patients using any method, and our fertility educators are certified to teach the following methods. Teaching can be done in-clinic or via telehealth:
Listen Fertility™— for health monitoring/management, and for those trying to become pregnant
Sensiplan™— for health monitoring/management, and for those trying to become pregnant or prevent pregnancy
Billings Ovulation Method®— for health monitoring/management, and for those trying to become pregnant or prevent pregnancy
Marquette Model (MM)— for health monitoring/management, and for those trying to become pregnant or prevent pregnancy
Through fertility education you learn:
- what a “normal” female cycle looks like
- how to chart your cycles
- the role hormones play in your reproductive cycle
- how to identify the beginning and end of the fertile window using natural body signs
- how to identify the PEAK mucus day
To learn more about fertility education or to schedule an appointment, please call us at 919.230.2100 or visit our Scheduling page.